11 May 2007

Welcome to the house, new tv

Dilemma of the week: my neighbors called me over yesterday afternoon when I arrived. The three year old Tito proudly announced to me, “Mommy wants to give you a TV; come and see it!” as he took my hand and led me into their house. And there was the mother, and the television, both sitting there looking at me. They say they want to give it to me to embullarme, or to entertain myself. I suspect they’re worried about me on those nights that I don’t go anywhere and stay in the house reading, as that would appear more of a punishment than entertainment to most of my neighbors! I pointed out that there may be other people who need one more than me… that if I want to watch any program I can easily go to a neighbor’s house… that I never really watch TV anyway… but all to no avail. They are set on giving it to me. They are even bringing me an antenna for the slight reception we get here in the campo. I have a feeling there may be underlying motives of moving it from their house they don’t live in (the family pretty much lives at the grandparents’ house) so it doesn’t get stolen. So in addition to my protests that I vocalized, I now also have to think about having an antenna visible to all, perhaps making my house more vulnerable to break-ins if I’m ever out of town. I think, though, that I really have to accept it, if I don’t want to hurt their feelings. Oh, this is not what came to mind when I thought of Peace Corps!

The other weekend was committee weekend in the capital, and our one-year teeth and health check-ups. We happened to find out that there was a race going on Saturday afternoon around the botanical gardens, and got a group together to run in/cheer on the 12K. There weren’t a whole lot of people, but the people that were there were in great shape! It was a hot afternoon, and at the beginning they announced that any atajos (shortcuts) were encouraged, as long as you stayed outside the fence of the gardens. I ended up winning our women’s age category and Jenny also placed, so we were given medals and beer, which we promptly shared with all our friends in the taxi going back to the hostel.

It has been raining every single day here in May, which really makes me and most of the population of my campo want to do… nothing! This especially applies to cleaning the house (for me) and going to class (for the students). In spite of this, my kids have decided to put out a sort of yearbook by the end of the month for the high school, so hopefully everyone stays motivated and it works out.

1 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

My name is Lauralee and I am actually wondering if you have any contact information for Peace Corps Jamaica. I am thinking about traveling there at the end of the month and know that PCVs are the best ones to contact for the low down on a country. If you happen to know how I can contact the PC office or anyone there I would really appreciate it. Oh, I should I also mention I'm a RPCV - EC 70.

Thanks for any help/contacts you have.

Take care,
--Lauralee Jarvis
LJarvis@51Minds.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home